Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Southwest Salad and Baked Poblano Rings

Since I knew I would have plenty more of the corn/black bean salsa from my buttermilk chicken recipe, I decided to plan that into another meal for the week. Last night, we had southwest salads, and I tried out a new baked poblano pepper ring recipe. This meal would be great for vegetarians, or you could add taco meat or chicken to the salad to bulk it up.


Southwest Salad

Ingredients:
romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
iceberg lettuce, roughly chopped
green onions, chopped
tomatoes, diced
low fat cheddar, shredded
tortilla chips, crushed lightly

Directions:
Just mix up your preferred amount of the ingredients. I drizzled my salad with a trio of taco sauce, low-fat three-cheese ranch dressing, and light lime vinaigrette dressing.

My apologies for the blurry photo; I took a quick one and didn't check it before the salads were already eaten. Plus, I didn't get a pic after the dressing was drizzled on, and it looked prettier then. But a blurry picture is better than none, right?


Baked Poblano Pepper Rings

I basically used this recipe for the pepper rings (except that recipe would make a huge amount - I only used 3 small peppers, and it was still far too many for the 2 of us). My crumbs were a mixture of jalapeno flavored kettle chips and a bit of the corn flake and panko crumb mix I had leftover from the buttermilk fried chicken. These were a huge mess to make, but they weren't bad. If I make them again, I will use the food processor on the crumbs instead of my ziplock/rolling pin method because finer crumbs would have made coating easier. I skipped it this time because the dishes were already piling up.  I was relieved that they didn't taste very spicy at all. We dipped our rings in salsa or queso cheese, but a lot of dipping sauces could be used.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! This southwest salad looks great...i love the corn and black bean combo so much. :)

    ReplyDelete